Friday, October 14, 2016

Homemade Frappe love

I love Caramel Frappes, but I can't afford to run out and get one all the time.  McDonald's is not really on my morning route anyway, and there is no Starbucks around here.  Dunkin' Donuts has a nice coolatta, but they too are way out the way.  So like most people, I was on Pinterest and I found a homemade Frappe recipe that I fell in love with.  
Now I can have my coffee anytime I want!  Actually, I have gotten used to my own that I recently had a Frappe from McDonald's and it just wasn't as good.
Now, I save myself loads of money, and I make it just how I like!!!!!  But I won't say no if someone does offer to buy me one for a treat. 


1/2 cup instant coffee, brewed at 1 and 1/2 or double strength, frozen  (see note 1)
3 T caramel syrup (see note 2)
2 T granulated sugar (feel free to substitute your preferred low-cal sugar substitute…just be sure to check conversions – not all of them substitute tsp. for tsp.)
1/2 C whole milk (feel free to substitute 2% or skim.  Use whatever you have on hand.)
1/2 C heavy cream (feel free to substitute milk here, too, if desired. (see note 3)
1 C-1 1/2 C ice
Reddi-Whip or similar generic nitrogen- or isobutane-propelled sweetened whipped cream, if desired, for garnish (I usually try to skip this part if I’m being good.)
caramel ice cream topping (see note 4), if desired, for garnish (again, my no-guilt version skips this element)

Place frozen coffee, caramel syrup, sugar, milk, cream, and ice into a blender (see note 5) and blend until smooth.  Top with Reddi-Whip and drizzle with caramel topping.  Enjoy!


NOTES
1. You can certainly use non-instant coffee if you have a coffee maker, and of course if you’re a caffeine-drinker, you’ll probably want to opt for the full-effect caffeinated variety.  Go for it!  I usually brew up a big batch (like, my 8 C measuring bowl full) at 1 1/2 strength, let it cool to room temperature, then portion it into these mini round Glad containers and stick them in the freezer.  Then, you’re good to go whenever you’re craving a frappe!
2. I’ve seen all kinds of different flavors of this syrup, including hazelnut, Irish creme, cinnamon vanilla, pumpkin spice...  I personally have no intentions of messing with the perfection that is the caramel frappe, but feel free to experiment with other flavors you like!  I found mine at my local Winco for less than $6, but I’ve also seen it at higher-end kitchen supply stores for more like $10 or $11.
3.  When you start subbing out the cream, the end result is less creamy.  Duh.  But, let’s face it, if I’m making these a few times a week, less creamy in the cup means less jiggly on the butt.  Or so I’m told.  Anyways, you can use all milk and no cream to make them, with a less creamy but still delicious result.
4. Any variety of caramel ice cream topping will work, but I personally like Mrs. Richardson’s butterscotch caramel best because it’s really nice & thick and it tastes & acts just like the stuff that McDonald’s drizzles on theirs.  If you love them like I do, you know what I’m talking about…When you get to the bottom of the frappe, your straw starts sucking up these nice, thick, mouthfuls of caramel.  It’s kind of the best part of the whole experience.
5.   You really do need an ice blender or smoothie maker to get the texture right for these.  I have a cruddy old blender from college that I tried, and it left big chunks of ice in there, more like iced coffee than a frappe.  Use a machine designed for making smoothies or efficient in dealing with ice.  This is one place where I love my Magic Bullet.  In my kitchen, my Vitamix will win almost any blender challenge over my Magic Bullet.  If I’m serving guests and making three or four at a time, I’ll use the Vitamix, but if I’m making a single serving I prefer my Magic Bullet because I can blend one at a time, right in the cup I’ll be drinking out of, and save myself a dish.



**** Now, my notes  cause i have changed it just a tad.    I brew up my coffee at regular strength, let it cool then measure out the 1/2 cups to freeze.   
     I do not use the heavy cream, I use just one full cup of Milk.
     And I do without the whipped topping, as I do if I order it at any place (McD's, Starbucks, etc)
    I rarely put ice in my mix, cause well my coffee is Frozen!!!  
Like it says above, you can add any flavor you want.  Which is awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment